top of page

Get Help

If you think you or someone you know is experiencing abuse, help is available.


You can reach the Derbyshire Domestic Abuse Helpline by phone on 08000 198 668 or by text on 07534 617 252. They can provide discreet emotional and practical support.

You can also contact the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247.

If you are in immediate danger try to get to a safe part of the house or a safe place outside and call the police on 999.

Scroll down for advice on how to help someone you know, or if you are worried about a child


Find support if you or someone you know is experiencing abuse

Find out more about the services we offer and how to make a referral

Get advice on how to browse the internet safely and to cover your tracks online


Worried about someone you know?


It can be upsetting to know or suspect that someone you care about is struggling and it can be difficult to know what to do about it. Often your first instinct will be to intervene but this can be dangerous to both of you.

Remember it’s not your responsibility to solve someone else’s problems but there are things you can do to keep them and their children safe including:

  • Give them an opportunity to open up and keep the line of communication open.

  • Listen without judgement.

  • Let them know you’re there for them and be patient – it may take a while for things to change.

  • Don’t tell them to leave or criticise them for staying – it is a big decision and it has to be theirs. Instead help build up their confidence and self-esteem.

  • Encourage them to seek help from local domestic abuse services.

  • Agree a code or action that is only known to you both so they can signal when they’re in danger and cannot get help.

  • Offer to keep spare sets of keys or important documents in a safe place so they can be accessed quickly in an emergency.

  • Encourage them to think of their own and their children’s needs above anyone else's.

  • Remind them to keep their mobile phone charged up and accessible at all times. 

  • Direct them to the safety planning section of our website. 

Someone you know

Worried about a child or young person?


If you think a child or young person is witnessing or experiencing domestic abuse there are things you can do to help. 

Contact Derbyshire Police on 101. If a child or young person is in immediate danger or you are worried about their safety, always contact 999

You can contact local children and family services by phoning Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190

If you would prefer to speak to someone anonymously, you can contact NSPCC.

Tel: 0808 800 5000 or for alternative ways to report check out their website

If you are a professional working with a child or young person and are worried about their safety, please contact Call Derbyshire by phone on 01629 533190 straight away. 

Worried about a child
bottom of page