If you are at risk, it's vital you remember to delete any information from the computer that could compromise your safety. In this case, this means deleting your browsing history so no one can see you've been on our site. Follow the steps provided by your browser manufacturer to clear your history.


Right click your screen and select Internet options


A new window will open. Select delete below browsing history.


Finally, check all of the boxes and press delete

*Instructions may differ on previous or older versions of your browser.

Keeping Safe

You can’t stop your partner’s abuse – that’s down to them – but you can take steps to keep yourself and your children safe.

Prepare for an emergency:

  • Keep important and emergency telephone numbers with you at all times. These might include Crossroads Derbyshire 0800 0198 668, your doctor, your children’s school and the local domestic violence unit.
  • Call a helpline in advance to get advice on what your options might be if you decide to leave in a hurry.
  • Think about whether there is a friend or neighbour you trust who you could go to.
  • Teach your children to call 999 in an emergency and make sure they know the information they’ll need to tell the operator including their name, address and phone number.
  • Keep money for a payphone/taxi and ensure your mobile phone is always charged and has credit.
  • If an episode of violence seems imminent, avoid rooms without doors to the outside.

If you are not living with your abuser:

  • Make sure that all the door and window locks and lights (inside and out) work properly. Install an alarm if you can.
  • If your abuser sends you abusive text messages, save them – they’re useful evidence.
  • Change your phone number if you are getting threatening calls.
  • If your abuser contacts you at work, tell your boss and colleagues about the situation and ask them to call the police in an emergency.
  • Your Human Resources Manager or union representative at work may be able to help you.

In an emergency:

  • Call the police immediately and file a report about the violence.
  • See a doctor if you are injured. Consider keeping a record of violent incidents and photographing bruises and injuries in case you decide to prosecute in future.
  • See a solicitor as soon as you can if you think you may need an injunction.

If you do decide to leave:

  • Have a plan in mind as this can be a particularly dangerous time.
  • Plan to leave at a time when you know your partner won’t be around.
  • Take your children with you. If they’re at school make sure the school knows what are happening and who will be collecting them in future.
  • Try to take everything you need with you.
  • If at all possible try to set aside a small amount of money each week or even open a separate bank account before you leave.

After you’ve left

You could still be at risk so take precautions like altering your routine, avoiding areas you used to visit with your partner, choose safe routes between locations and let childcare providers know they’re not to release the children to anyone else without your agreement.

Referral forms for agencies
I’m worried about a friend
I Need Help

Crossroads Derbyshire offers confidential advice and support to adults, children and young people in Glossop, the High Peak and across Derbyshire.
If you need our help, or know someone who does, call us on 0800 0198 668.